Thursday, January 11, 2007

Speak

There are times in my life when I wish that God would speak. In His voice I would find comfort. In His voice I would find the strength that I lack. A voice the transcends my so-called good judgment and a voice which puts my very soul at ease. But who is to say I would even listen if I heard such a voice. Chances are I would ignore it and go on with my daily duties and responsibilities. We ask God to speak but how many of us are really listening? How many of us would sit down during the day and stop what work we are doing and listen? How many of us would shut up and shut off our brains from the world for one minute? We are deaf and dumb in this culture, me included. Our culture keeps our thoughts occupied with billboards, TV, the Internet, video games, movies, and fantasies. My brain is overloaded with this junk and in turn it finds its way to my heart. My heart becomes hard to the things of God because there is so much exterior noise I can't focus on that still small voice. No wonder I can't hear it. No wonder Christians in America are deaf to it. We have forgotten what our Father's voice sounds like; we have forgotten our first love.

1 comment:

theultrarev said...

Paul, send me an email. with your email address so I can reply to your post on The Land of the Ultra Rev privately. Thanks.

-- theultrarev