Thursday, January 18, 2007

…And then what?

A deeper look into faith

Taking a leap of faith for me requires a little information ahead of time. Why is it that I lack the faith to take the leap? Perhaps I am afraid that He will not catch me? Is it so bad that I want to be a well informed Christian? I would like to see the big picture and I want to ask the question “and then what Lord?” What I’m interested in is what happens next, not necessarily what is happening now. So many times in our lives, the “next” precedes the “now”, and in turn we lose out on the blessing God offers us today. Our faith is diminished when we concern ourselves with what happens tomorrow. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34. An increase of worry results in a decrease of faith. It draws the eyes of our soul away from heaven and on our present circumstances.

I have a fear of heights and, believe it or not, I climb to the tops of mountains. It takes a lot of physical and mental strength to climb. At times I feel like giving up on the trail and turning around but, I know the view from the top will be amazing. Therefore, I continue. Once I begin to think about how far the top is away from me I become flooded with worry. Will I make it to the top? Will I fall? What happens if the sun goes down and I’m still hiking? Where is the next water source? Am I going to slow? When I focus on one step at a time I come to the realization that all of these steps will add up to one glorious moment. In essence, each step becomes a blessing in and of itself. Each moment is filled with the sites and sounds of nature and the questions of a worried hiker fade away in high mountains. May you become caught up with your Savior as He leads you on this hike we call life. In the simple yet quite moments of your soul, may you find comfort in the fact that we serve a God who is faithful. Jump faithfully into his arms! And then what…Trust that he will catch you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just saw your link and wondered if you could say hi to your wife for me. I haven't seen you guys in a long time. Hope you're doing well.

Jenny (Parker) Pittsley said...

Hey. I just realized that my previous post went under anonymous! In case that happens again, this is Jenny (Parker) Pittsley. Sorry about that.