Thursday, April 27, 2006

for the love of oil

You’re probably aware of gas prices and there raising costs in our culture today. As Americans we are dependent on gas to fill our automobiles and get us from point A to B. Americans are traveling more then ever by automobiles as they go on vacations and weekend getaways. Our hearts are set on adventure and automobiles are a big part of getting us to places of excitement. To try to combat growing costs at the pump I have decided to make a few modifications in my life and the life of my vehicle. My first modification was to take all the junk out of my trunk and make my car as light as possible, I have also decided to take the spare tire out as well much to my wife's dismay. I have never used the spare tire in the lifetime of owning my car and I don't intend to (crossing my fingers). I figured the spare tire was about 55 pounds which is a huge savings in weight. Another modification that I have made is to be as gentle on the gas pedal as possible. What I mean by that is that I speed up gradually and once I get to that speed I remain there until I absolutely need to slow down. These are some ways I have heard can increase gas mileage and decrease out of pocket expense in the long run. Let me know if you have found ways to save amidst this oil craze?

No comments: